You are currently viewing UPDATE: Attempt of a Cruiser Being Stolen Leads to Police Shooting in Oxford County

UPDATE: Attempt of a Cruiser Being Stolen Leads to Police Shooting in Oxford County

  • Post category:Local / News


From Maine State Police, Oxford County Sheriff’s Office, Oxford Police, Norway Police and Paris Police:

On Monday, May 6, 2024, at approximately 7:18 am, the Paris Police Department responded to the report of a suspicious male. The man was identified as 37-year-old Gary Porter who is unhoused. Porter was arrested for an outstanding felony theft warrant. He was transported to Stephen’s Memorial hospital where he was treated and released for conditions that were unrelated to the arrest. Paris Police Chief Mike Dailey transported Porter to the Oxford County Jail. While attempting to remove Porter from the vehicle at the jail Porter was able to slip his cuffs from the back to the front and move to the driver’s seat and steal the Paris Police cruiser. Paris Police Chief Mike Dailey was thrown from the moving vehicle while attempting to stop Porter.

Police Officers from Norway, Oxford, Paris, Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office, Oxford County Sheriff’s Office, Fire Marshals Office, and Maine State Police responded and began pursuing Porter. Porter crashed on Route 117 in Paris. Officers confronted Porter and gunfire was exchanged. Porter was struck but fled and stole an Oxford County Sheriff’s police vehicle which he crashed a short distance up the road. Porter was taken into custody and treated at a local hospital. Once Porter was released, he was transported to the Oxford County Jail and charged with two counts of Theft, Assault on a Police Officer, Escape, Eluding, and Violation of Bail.

The Office of the Attorney General will investigate the law enforcement use of force and Maine State Police Major Crimes South will complete a criminal investigation.

All involved officers are being placed on administrative leave which is a standard practice in any officer involved shooting in Maine.


A suspect has been arrested and taken to a medical facility with injuries, following a police shooting in South Paris this afternoon, May 6. Route 117 from High Street to Route 119 had to be shut down.

CBS13 reports that the incident began when police shot at a person who apparently tried to get behind the wheel of a cruiser. The suspect then attempted and drive off.

Latest Local Central Maine News