October is the annual KVCAP diaper drive. Each year their Family Enrichment Councils in Kennebec and Somerset counties organize a diaper drive to collect diapers and wipes for families in need.
The “Stuff the Cruiser” events in collaboration with local law enforcement in various communities are:
• Somerset County: Friday, 10/21 at the Skowhegan Hannaford’s from 3pm – 6pm
• Kennebec County: Thursday, 10/27 at Buddies Groceries in Oakland from 3pm – 5pm
• Kennebec County: Friday, 10/28 at the Witten Road Hannaford in Augusta from 10am – 12pm
• Kennebec County: Saturday, 10/29 at the Waterville Elm Plaza Hannaford from 10am – 12pm
Why our diaper drive is so important:
• 1 in 3 families struggle to afford diapers for their children.
• Government safety-net programs do not recognize diapers as a basic need.
• Diapers cannot be obtained with food stamps (SNAP).
• Babies cry more when they experience diaper rash and the lack of resources increases the risk of abuse.
• Babies who cry excessively are at greater risk for shaken baby syndrome.
• Most child care centers require parents to provide a day’s supply of disposable diapers; without access to childcare parents can’t go to work or school.