You are currently viewing 78-Year-Old Cutler Man Rescued in Sleet Storm

78-Year-Old Cutler Man Rescued in Sleet Storm

  • Post category:Local / News

Maine Game Wardens, along with Maine Forest Rangers and a Washington County Sheriff’s Deputy, rescued a missing 78-year-old Cutler man yesterday, Jan. 16, who had ventured out to search for moose antlers. He had become lost after falling through the ice into a bog and became hypothermic.


Pete Taylor, age 78 of Cutler, had left his house on his ATV at 7:00 a.m. yesterday to search for moose antlers in the area of Cocoa Mountain Road in Cutler, an area he searches frequently. He told his family he would be back by noon, but when he didn’t show, they began searching for him. At about 4:00, after they found his ATV but were unable to locate him, it began sleeting heavily, and they contacted the Maine Warden Service.

Game wardens and a Washington County Sheriff’s deputy arrived on the scene shortly thereafter at 4:30 p.m. Warden Alan Curtis and his K-9 Grizz, Warden Scott Osgood, Warden Matt Tenan, Forest Rangers Jeff Currier and Aaron Currier, and Washington County Sheriff Deputy Toni Bridges began searching the area where the ATV was found just as the sleet, freezing rain and wind began to worsen.

At approximately 8:00 p.m., Game Wardens were able to make voice contact with Taylor, and quickly were able to follow his voice to where he was located, with K9 Griz leading the way to Taylor.

Taylor told game wardens he was searching for moose sheds in an area, and fell through the ice into a bog. He was able to get out of the bog, but the water had soaked his clothes, and he began to get disoriented as hypothermia set in with the freezing weather and sleet. He told wardens that he was going to go to sleep, and wasn’t sure if he would wake up, but when he heard Game Warden Matt Tenan’s siren as he arrived, he decided to stay awake and listen for the game wardens.

Besides being hypothermic, Taylor was in good shape, and Game Wardens began a fire to warm him up, and once Taylor was warm, he was able to walk with assistance to a waiting ambulance, where he was examined by emergency medical personnel and then released to his family.

Latest Local Central Maine News